Sunday 1 March 2015

Module 2- making a start.

After reading through Reader 4 a few times, I'm getting to grips with the idea of a 'professional inquiry', and how questions, issues, problems, and opportunities can be developed as ways to understand practice. 
As Sarah Dunn mentions (http://sarahdunn88.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/module-2-oganisation-research.html), I also currently work full- time in a non arts related field, so I have had to re- evaluate how I will go about my professional inquiry, the sources I will draw upon, the people (friends, ex- colleagues, dance teachers etc.) that will aid and support me in the process. 

Looking back at my previous 'inquiry' task, there are some particular avenues that I have chosen to explore further, that will eventually lead to my line of enquiry, and which I hope will be relevant to my future practice within the arts. 

Is body weight and image addressed in the correct way at dance colleges?

Are dancers educated properly on healthy eating and nutrition?

Should dance teachers be allowed to physically correct students?

Do dancers have the correct transferable skills in order to be successful in other fields?

How can the mis- treatment and exploitation of dancers be prevented and controlled?

Are dancers given enough support and guidance on furthering their careers?

I have started with six questions that I am interested in researching further, so have kept it fairly broad at the moment, to see which questions gain the most response/ interest.  

I have taken my questions to a professional associate, and look forward to getting her thoughts and feedback.  I also hope to receive comments from other practitioners on the course. 




2 comments:

  1. I think this course so far has been useful in identifying some transferable skills that I can take from my professional practice. I think the idea of how these skills could be useful to be successful in other fields is very interesting. Also I think most dancers find the transition out of performance very difficult (I am struggling with the idea of it and wondering what I would want to do afterwards) so finding out what support and guidance is out there is something I am definitely interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these Ruth - have you been able to find any literature about these starting points? have a look at the Module 2 blog on my blog about finding key words exploitation transferable skills dance corrections etc

    ReplyDelete