Sunday 19 April 2015

Pilot Interview


I decided to conduct a pilot interview as my 'informal trial'. I asked a friend of mine, or 'professional associate' to participate in the interview. She currently works as a full- time dance teacher, however is oversees, so the interview was conducted over Skype. I felt that her previous experience as a professional dancer would be beneficial to my future line of questioning. 


  • Before the interview
Before conducting the interview, I devised a list of questions. Although I haven't yet finalised my line of inquiry, I know that it will be something like 'how does nutritional education affect professional dancers later in life?' I used my planned questions to get an idea of what information would be revealed, and aid in the research of my inquiry. 

An example of some of the questions I asked were:
1. Did you feel conscious of your body image whilst in training?
2. Were you ever on a strict diet whilst at dance college?
3. Did you feel that you were given enough guidance and education on the importance of nutrition and healthy eating whilst at dance college?

  • During the interview
I began the interview by explaining to my professional associate that the answers she gave me would remain completely confidential and that it was a 'pilot interview'. I outlined the agenda for the interview- that it would last approximately 20 mins, I would ask her around 10- 20 questions, and that if she felt uncomfortable answering any of the questions then that was fine and she didn't have to answer. 

I wrote up her answers as we were speaking which was quite time consuming and did slow down the process. As we were on Skype, there was a slight delay with some responses, which also slowed down the process. As she is a friend of mine, the interview was very informal and conversational. The questions I had prepared often led to further questions. 

  • Findings
Some of the answers I was given, I found really interesting. Conducting my pilot interview has definitely been very encouraging as to where my research could take me and the results I could achieve. However, I'm not sure if interviews will be the most effective tool/ method for me to use for my inquiry. As my interview was with a friend it was very informal and relaxed and went well. I feel that for other people it could be a very different experience. Answering sensitive questions face- to- face with a stranger may be nerve- wracking and off- putting, and participants might not be as open and honest with me. This could actually be detrimental to my research. A survey or questionnaire might be more beneficial. 





No comments:

Post a Comment